Wednesday 1 April 2009

Started using Twitter

Image representing Twitter as depicted in Crun...Image via CrunchBase

I always wanted to have a cross-database plugin that would list some "recent news" of new vouchers and records uploaded to our voucher and reference databases. I tried to do it myself some years ago but it was too complicated to achieve.

But, it seems that Twitter might do the job.

from Wikipedia:
Twitter is a social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read other users' updates known as tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 characters in length.
So now every time I update the databases a script will create a tweet including a shortened url address to the respective voucher and record pages.

Since the tweets have to be up to 140 characters in length, I have to shorten the URLs. For this, I found the TinyURL service, but it was sluggish a couple of times so I switched over to Is.gd which has a very simple API.

And this is my twitter address http://twitter.com/carlosp420

Here a video explaining in a better way what Twitter might be all about: "The ultimate tool for exhibitionism"



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]